Mia Silvas Forum Index Mia Silvas
the official forum for Mia Silvas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

19th of November - Songbirds @ the Bedford

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marloes
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: 19th of November - Songbirds @ the Bedford Reply with quote

From Mia's MySpace:

Quote:
19TH OF NOVEMBER - SONGBIRDS @ THE BEDFORD, LONDON
77 Bedford Hill, Balham, London, SW12 9HD
Cost: £5

Songbirds returns to The Globe Theatre at The Bedford to showcase the finest in the UK's singer/songwriter talent. Hosted by Nikki, this monthly night is a pure gem at only £5 entrance. November sees the wonderful talents of Lisa Theunissen, Mel Gareh, Ali de Siati, Anne-Marie Helder, Mia Silvas and more TBA!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Dutch names... Guess they are English though....
Have a great night!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay im going!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great night Sam!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may go, not sure, depends if I can have the 20th off! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lmao! i told you, we will wake up early and i'll make sure you get to school for 9am Laughing Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could do that or I could take the 20th off. I think I like the latter more! Laughing

I hate my AG college anyway...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or yarrr, you could just skive! Very Happy either way suits meh really Razz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than calling it 'skiving' I like to see it as 'well earnt time off'... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh clearly! Laughing Razz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have been 'earning' a lot of it recently though... Cool Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat... you naughty girl!!!
Well, then is Mia's gig your last earned time so far...
Wink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Mia performing on this date at 2 venues??

At The Acoustic Lounge and The Bedford??

Location: Willington near Bedford and anywhere Mia is performing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No she isnt at two gigs on the 19th, there was a mistake on the shows page of the website that has now been corrected. Songbirds on the 19th and Acoustic Lounge on the 21st as per forums and I assume she is backing Lucie at Pigalle on the 20th.

So who can I look forward to meeting at this event? Looks like Nat and Sam so far. Please say hello on the night if you see me because I don't really know anyone yet.

Regards
Dud
jimboc88

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone Mia was great at the Bedford last night she looked stunning ,god knows how she managed to walk in those high hells they were sooo high.mia's set was fab the songs she sang were 'i'm alot like me' 'miss communication' 'trouble all the way' and 'runnaway' maybe the title i couldn't find the song on the playlist little help Mia?
here are some pics of the night with the mia pose Laughing the second pic is mia saying about people not answering their mobiles 'you got my number,you got my number' Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aww she looks gorgeous Laughing glad you had a good time james!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah wonderful!!
I am glad you had a great night!
And that pose!! LOL
It got its own life. Very Happy

Location: Willington near Bedford and anywhere Mia is performing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Gig report - The Bedford, Sunday 19th Nov Reply with quote

Last night’s Songbirds event at the Bedford Arms in Balham, South London benefited from the usual intimate atmosphere that the venue is renowned for. Several female singer songwriters were on show ranging from rock power ballads to light folk ballads.

Hosts/organisers Never the Bride began the evening with some powerful singing. Having not heard Nikki Lamborn before, I can recommend her vocal talents as putting the likes of Laura Brannigan and Jennifer Warnes to shame. She writes with “Been” the other half of the duo and it was hardly surprising when they introduced one of their songs as the new single from Dame Shirley Bassey in the New Year – their style and delivery would suit Dame Shirley and I could almost imagine Shirley singing it. Almost – I was in the front row and Nikki can’t half belt them out.

Lisa Theunissen (pronounced Tennyson so I am told) was an excellent singer who played piano and captured the room’s attention. Simple songs and piano but careful lyrics made everyone sit up and take notice

Next up (if I am remembering the running order right) was the strangely named Mel Gareh, who has an unusually deep voice and was accompanied by her brother on guitar. When introducing her, Nikki suggested that the guys in the audience might remember her from a sex line they phoned and that sums up her wonderfully sexy deep tones. Listen to Million Miles off the myspace site to get the idea.

Ann Marie Helder was a visually impressive tall cowgirl dressed performer with a unusual voice –don’t get me wrong, not in a bad way, but she didn’t sing conventionally – perhaps you need to visit her myspace to get the idea. She describes herself as the “little red rock chick” and she certainly was, except she seemed to have long legs to me, or maybe that’s because I was sitting down the front and looking upwards.

Originating from LA, Liz Ryder was a very Joni Mitchell like vocalist and her songwriting skills were up there too. I was extremely impressed and wanted to buy her CD but missed my chance at the interval as I was too busy chatting to a rather nice lady who was seated beside me (and there is no way I can accept that she had a 20 year old son!) I suspect she is someone I will see again (Liz not the woman next to me) when I get the chance, and would suggest you all do – she has some tracks available for free download on her myspace so get in there! For me this lady was the star find of the night.

The short named Steph was up next. Very young at not yet 21 and a little shy but obviously talented. The shyness disappeared once she started singing – is that a performer thing? Again her myspace speaks better volumes than any comments I could make. Have a visit.

Ali de Siati had a drummer and bassist so seemed loud in comparison. That’s not a criticism, there was just far more sound. I did wonder why there wasn’t a guitarist (although Ali is more than competent in that department) but a visit to her website today says they are recruiting. An energetic performance and a different sound from the mainly acoustic or piano acts of the evening.

Last but not least (obviously) our own Mia arrived, looking fine in a half waistcoat (see I’m noticing now for all you female forum members out there) and one heck of set of heels (okay that will probably appeal more the guys. It’s one of the few fashion accessories that I would notice) I admire the woman for not falling on and off the stage. She must have practised. Set list was

A Lot Like Me
Easier Said Than Done
Miss Communication
Trouble All the Way

I shan’t mention Ben’s bum notes again. Doh! It's all the funnier because you know just how talented the man is.

I managed to meet one of the regular forum contributors, Jimbob, who had driven down from Ipswich. It was nice to catch up with a real person for a change rather than simply online chatter. Just need to cross Nat, Sam, Marly and Laura off the list next. Who’s coming to Amsterdam on Feb 4th?

Judie and Bailey Tzuke were present and offering their support as always, thank you ladies. Judie even got an embarrassing but thoroughly deserved mention from hostess Nikki

A late finish by this time. Despite a brief goodbye to Miss Silvas and a hasty departure I managed to miss the last northbound tube and ended up getting a taxi back to central London to catch my train home. Bed at 3am and back up at 5.25am to go to work. I’m too old for this.

Having been to a few Mia gigs since I first saw her in September, also at the Bedford, most of the other artists that have been on the bills have been embarrassingly awful. Last night was an exception in that every act was good, and I mean really good. If you thought of coming and decided not to, you missed a really great night and what amazing value for a mere fiver. Kick yourself and put up a PostIt saying don’t do it again.

Artiste Myspaces are as follows:
http://www.myspace.com/neverthebrideuk
http://www.myspace.com/lisatheunissen
http://www.myspace.com/melgareh
http://www.alidesiati.com/
http://www.myspace.com/annemarieheldermusic
http://www.myspace.com/stephandshwepp
http://www.myspace.com/lizryder

My personal recommendations from the night are (in no particular order)
Never the Bride
Lisa
Liz
Steph

And er Mia Silvas Laughing (she’s top but then I am admittedly and unashamedly biased)

Regards
Dud/Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Mia Silvas Forum Index -> Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: